Emmanuel’s organ is central to Emmanuel’s musical offerings, accompanying choral anthems, congregational singing, and playing voluntaries before and after worship services.
The original organ was a two manual instrument of 16 stops built by James Cole of Boston. It was installed in 1901 when the present church edifice was erected. In 1929, Welte-Mignon, which evolved out of the W.W. Kimball Company, was commissioned to install a choir division (third manual). A third set of tapered pipes were installed in the 1960s when the current console was built. Interestingly,
that console was dedicated in concert by renowned English organist E. Power Biggs in 1969. Biggs served at Emmanuel as organist and choirmaster from 1930 to 1932, his first American post!
From that time the organ specification has remained essentially the same. A number of different companies have been involved in the organ’s upkeep, including on-going maintenance, overhauls and general reconditioning projects, including the recent full reed restoration in 2016 by Lemieux and Associates.